Part 2 of the Selling Your Home Series is about choosing an agent. So, you read last week’s post Part 1 and decided that now is the right time for you to sell your Orlando home. Great news! Now what?
Well your first step is to hire the right agent for the job. If you are selling a home in Downtown Orlando, College Park, or Winter Park scroll to the bottom and fill out our form. You found the right agent!
If you’re unsure of who might be the right agent for the job, look for signs in your neighborhood. Is there any one agent that seems to dominate the area? If you look at recent sales online in your area, is there one agent that has a large number of them? That could lead you to someone who is highly knowledgeable about the area. Knowledge and sales history doesn’t necessarily make that agent the best agent for you personally. Get to know them and their business a little better by asking the questions below. If you’re still torn visit next week for deciding between two agents that tell you different prices for your home!
10 Questions to Ask Your Realtor about Selling a House
1. Are you a full-time professional real estate agent? How long have you worked full time in real estate? What professional designations do you have?
- As with any profession, the number of years a person has been in the business does not necessarily reflect the level of service you can expect, but it is a good starting point for your discussion. The same issue can apply to professional designations.
2. Do you have a personal assistant, team or staff to handle different parts of the purchase? How will we communicate with you/them?
- It is not uncommon for agents who are successful to have assistants or other team members. You may want to know who on the team will take part in your transaction, and what role each person will play. If you have a question about fees on your closing statement, who would handle that? Who will show up to your closing?
3. Who responds to emails and how quickly?
- Again this establishes how you will communicate with your agent and how quickly you should expect a response from them. A good agent should be able to respond to you by the end of the business day.
4. How will you keep in contact with me during the selling process, and how often?
- It is important to understand how exactly you will be notified of activities/marketing/showings/etc. We have a communication commitment that outlines exactly how we will communicate with our sellers.
5. What is your average market time versus other agents’ average market time?
- The time it takes to sell homes can indicate how well an agent is marketing – however keep in mind – some sellers choose a list price higher than the agent recommended and that can add length to the sales process.
6. Will you give me names of past clients?
- Ask for testimonials if they do not provide them! Review their testimonials and ratings online. View our rave reviews now!
7. What is your average list to sales price ratio?
- This number tells you how close to asking price the agent obtained for their sellers. Our list to sales price ratio was a little over 100% in 2012 and 2013. The average in Orlando is about 96%.
8. How will you get paid? What other costs might we incur?
- In Florida the seller pays the entire sales commissions. Sometimes, brokerage offices will have other small fees, such as administrative or special service fees, that are charged to clients, regardless of whether they are buying or selling. Ask for an estimate of costs from any agent you contemplate employing.
9. How would you develop pricing strategies for our home?
- Although location and condition affect the selling process, price is the primary factor in determining if a home sells quickly, or at all. Ask your agent how they created the market analysis, and whether your agent included For Sale by Owner homes, foreclosed homes and bank-owned sales in that list.
10. What will you do to sell my home? Who determines where and when my home is marketed/ promoted? Who pays for your advertising?
- Your agent should have a marketing plan. If they do not – then they do not have a clear picture of how/who to market your home. We have a Custom Marketing plan for each listing in which we target the most likely buyer for your property and gear the external marketing around this profile.
Get Started selling today with our team! Call 407-494-2820 or complete the form below.