The National Association of Realtors has found that the average investment in home staging is about 1-3% of the home’s listing price which provides a return of about 8-10%. Those are some pretty amazing numbers. However, home staging can be done on a reasonable budget too. If your home is in reasonably good condition and just needs a little sprucing $1000 should be enough. The question then becomes, where to spend the money?
The best places to start are the rooms that sell a home in Orlando and around the world, kitchens and bathrooms!
1. Fresh paint goes along way! Remember to keep it neutral but warm and inviting. Valspar has a Love your Color guarantee! Use the Lowe’s Paint Calculator to determine how much you need.
2. Remove any wallpaper if necessary …and if you have wallpaper it probably is!
3. Replace old light fixtures with a more modern style
4. Replace old hardware with fresh modern ones. The cabinet pulls usually cost about $4-$20. Stick with less expensive ones and you should be able to do an average kitchen for about $150.
5. Replace outdated faucets and bath fixtures. This can be a little costly. But remember you just want something new and clean that feels up to date. You don’t have to buy the most expensive one that you love. It’s about updating things. Clean and new just sell better than dirty or outdated.
6. If you have tile – pay someone to clean the floors and get the grout as clean as possible!
7. Declutter. This is by far the least expensive staging tool. Remove almost everything from your kitchen counters. Example – put your blender or toaster away after use. In the bathroom keep all toiletries hidden and organized in cabinets. Opt for a few clean accessories in corners to draw the eye into the space. Add bar stools to a kitchen bar to show how to utilize the space properly.
Bar stool ONLY $16.99 at Ikea
If you feel lost, a professional stager can offer you a punchlist of items to address based on your particular situation for a reasonable fee. Contact us for a staging recommendation for your Orlando home for sale!
Images: Ikea Barstool, Lowe’s Light Fixture, Valspar Paint