Just recently I came across this article about holiday lights and how to create such a spectacular display. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas lights and these over the top light displays are fun to look at during the holiday season. The problem is they are not practical if you are trying to sell your home. They distract from the main features of your home and that means a buyer might overlook the beautiful arched windows if there is a large snowman in front of them.
The holidays are actually a great time to sell because your house probably shows more beautifully than ever, with sparkling lights and the smell of cinnamon or pine throughout the house. There are a few things to keep in mind as you decorate your home as a home-seller.
1. Keep it Simple. This year is not the year for over the top light displays as seen above! If you choose to decorate with outdoor lights, try to keep it to one color. White lights are always a classic.
2. Try to eliminate your overly religious decorations this year. Many people may share different beliefs and you are trying to appeal to the masses when selling your home.
3. I have mentioned this before in other holiday staging posts; but it should be said again, steer clear of inflatable decor.
4. If you have a large tree in the house and the living room suddenly becomes overcrowded with furniture, move one or two pieces into another room. You want your open to feel spacious and draw attention to the features of the room. It is difficult to do this if the room is full of unnecessary furniture.
5. Don’t forget the exterior is the first impression. Keep the main focal points (a custom front door, paver driveway, or picket fence with jasmine) clear of decorations and simply use the lights to highlight these items. Try a few pots next to the front door with poinsettias in one color or a simple wreath with berries to draw the buyers eye to the front door.
As I mentioned in the Thanksgiving post, what’s almost as important as staging the home appropriately is to be flexible with your showings. Many people are off of work during the holidays and this is the only time they have available to shop for a home. Plan ahead for how you will show your home during this busy time of year.
Contact us to learn more about how to sell a home in Orlando and how we can help you with staging homes in Orlando at Kathryn@ThinkLiveBe.com or 1-800-859-5714 ext. 0
Image credit: Christmas Spirit by MSVG via Attribution License on Everystock